From: Connors, Bernie (SNB) [mailto:bernie.conn...@snb.ca]
Sent: March 1, 2012 14:04
To: 'Steve Roy'; Talk-CA OpenStreetMap
Subject: Re: [Talk-ca] Intro and a question

Steve,

        I have had a look at your GPS trace and the OSM data in the Lac Le
Jeune area with the Potlatch 2 editor.  It appears to me that your GPS trace
matches quite well with the Bing imagery in the area.  Since you are familiar
with the area you could accomplish more by simply digitizing from the Bing
imagery and supplementing with GPS traces when necessary.  I would trust your
GPS trace to be more accurate than the CanVec data in the area.  It is really
up to you to decide if you want to reposition existing data or delete it and
digitize new features.  I find that sometimes the CanVec data has many nodes
and it is time consuming to reposition each node.  The CanVec data is using the
tag "highway = footway" where it appears that it is suitable for vehicles.  I
suggest "highway = track" is more appropriate.  It looks like another user has
already digitized some "highway = track" in this area and created some
duplicate ways such as this one:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/SRW/traces/1187039

        With your local knowledge it should be easy to identify these duplicate
ways and remove the less accurate data.

Bernie.
--
Bernie Connors