On 12-04-09 11:39 , James Ewen wrote:

> The quality of GPS receivers are about even these days. Give the unit
> a good view of the sky and it will tell you where you are.

My experience with phone GPSs is different. The tracks I've got from two
phones - a Blackberry Tour and an iPhone 4s - are much noisier than my
Garmin 60Csx with a full-sized antenna. Here's an image from a test I
did on a local walking path:
http://glaikit.org/2010/08/21/probably-wouldnt-recommend-the-blackberry-tour-as-a-gps-logger/

No scale, sadly, but you can see that the Blackberry's track is very noisy.

Still, having a slightly noisy GPS is better than none at all, so if
carrying the Android would help Colin map where he otherwise wouldn't,
it's all for the good.

cheers,
 Stewart