On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 4:19 PM, Harald Kliems <kli...@gmail.com> wrote:
> That's indeed some nice imagery. In the area I looked at, the QC/NY
> border south of Montreal, it doesn't extend all that far into Canada
> but it's nice nonetheless.

It looks like some of the stuff in Canada is Public Domain:
http://cumulus.cr.usgs.gov/dispatches/PRODUCT_Orthos.html#Canada
- but it doesn't tell you the boundaries.

It's newer than the Bing imagery where I live; looks like late summer
2009 or summer 2010, by the fresh(ish) paint on my deck. You can even
make out someone in my back garden; might even be me ...

>  If you look at the list linked from the
> wiki page ( http://cumulus.cr.usgs.gov/dispatches/PRODUCT_Orthos.html
> ) there don't seem to be any non-PD regions -- so I guess we can use
> it?

But that list is not exhaustive; not every US county is on it.
F'rinstance, in Missouri, Andrew, Buchanan, Bates, Benton, Pettis &
Cooper counties aren't listed - so that could mean that any imagery
there is not Public Domain.

cheers,
 Stewart

--