As part of the improvements I've been adding to our local neighbourhood, I added a missing strip mall. This is at the intersection of Kilborn and Virginia in Ottawa. I suppose I could provide coordinates if needed.

I added in the almost dozen shops and offices, each as a stand-alone node with appropriate attributes (amenity/shop/office, plus name, plus addr:housenumber). Is this in the spirit of the OpenStreetMap exercise or have I gone too far?

As for rendering, it looks like priority has been given to some categories over others. The map now shows the ATM and bank, a cafe, and a hairdresser's, but not the other stuff. The name of the cafe is in bold and masks the symbol of the public telephone outside it. The overall name "Kilborn Shopping Centre" no longer shows since I added the detail.

There seems to be similar selectivity at a synagogue just up Virginia. A Waldorf school operates there. I added it as a standalone node inside the building. Now the name of the school shows, but not the name of the Jewish congregation. The Star of David does appear on the structure.

Tom Taylor