Tom,

in general we say do not tag for rendering. There are a multitude of OSM
maps available and each mapping various objects differently.

With OSM there are often many ways to tag and opionion may vary from region to
region.

You can find interpretation in wiki page
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dfootway

highway=footway is reserved for path used mainly or exclusively for
pedestrians.

Highway=path is for paths not restricted to
 pedestrians.

Pierre