OpenStreetBrowser offers routing and clickable POIs. Higher zoom levels
were experimentally implemented on a server by the French OSM community but
I think it is no longer online. I can't remember the URL, but you should be
able to find the related discussion in the archives of the general talk
list (search for z19). Mapquest might also do some of the things requested.

With regards to what OSM and the OSM homepage are or aren't : Bernie
certainly has expressed one view that is widely held in the community. But
there are other positions as well, evidenced by the fact that discussions
like the one in this thread keep popping up.

Harald (who is also sad that for his everyday geodata needs he often ends
up using Google)

On Tuesday, July 9, 2013, Connors, Bernie (SNB) <bernie.conn...@snb.ca>
wrote:
> Guillaume,
>
>         IMHO all of your issues could be solved with applications of the
OSM data.  The goal of OSM is to create an open data set that can be used
by anybody to solve all of the issues in your list.  The goal of OSM is not
to create a replacement for the Google Maps website but to create an
alternative to the Google Maps data.  All of your issues could be addressed
with OSM data and some programming.  I expect some or all of your issues
have already been addressed.  For example the OSMR website is great for
routing and driving directions - http://map.project-osrm.org/

>         Let's hear from the rest of the OSM talk-ca community.  Who has
suggestions for Guillaume's other issues?

> Bernie.

I am proud to recently have achieved my one hundredth contribution to the
project. I really love the OpenStreetMap project, and I would like to
replace my daily usage of Google Maps with OpenStreetMap.

> But it just seems I cannot. Anybody else feel the same issues?
>
> I'll give a few concrete examples why, humbly hoping that my words can
encourage changes to the main website.

> First point: searching. I have OpenStreetMap zoomed in to some region of
Montreal, Canada. I input "café", looking for a coffee shop. I get results
from Nominatim, inviting me to visit a village in Brazil named "Café" or
even the "Café point" in Antarctica. While these search results awaken my
globetrotter's desire to explore the world, they frustrate me at the same
time. Why couldn't Nominatim priorize results from the bounding box or
surrounding? Why can't OpenStreetMap show me results on the map like the
OverPass API does, performing a search on the tag amenity=cafe and showing
the results on the map?

> Second point: accessing POI information. I cannot click on point of
interests (POI) to get more info about them. Why do we input address,
business hours and phone numbers on shops and restaurants if the map cannot
easily display this information to the user? Why do I have to show the
map's data in order to have information on a point of interest?

> Third point: maximum zoom level. Some area are densely populated, and
OpenStreetMap's current zoom level is not enough to see all details of the
map. This is really unfortunate. Example:
http://osm.org/go/cIrNs6Qzp--What are the restaurant surrounding the
Hard Rock Café on this map? I have
to use the editor to be able to zoom and see all data.

> Fourth point: sharing a point of interest. There should be an easy way to
do that. I have found a (complicated) way to do it, which is all but
obvious to newcomers. Here is how:

>         . Using the layer icon at the top right of the map, I select
"Browse Map Data";
>         . I select the object I want to share (which is not always
possible; sometimes it is "hidden" behind a residential area or similar);
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?way=225637513

> Fifth point: routing. Why is there absolutely no routing implemented on
the main OpenStreetMap website? This is I concede a naïve question, as it
might be simply because of limited server resources. Once we have our new
servers, is this something we want to implement, as a community?

> I really like the OpenStreetMap project, and I dream to be able to use it
as a primary map instead of Google Maps. I feel resolving these issues
would bring me many steps closer to making that dream come true.

> What do you all think? Do you also have showstoppers that prevent you to
use OpenStreetMap as your primary and daily map?

> Guillaume

Please use encrypted communication whenever possible!
Key-ID: 0x34cb93972f186565