Hi Guillaume,
my two cents: since this seems to be a feature that is pretty much unique
in Montreal, you'll probably have to come up with your own tagging. I would
not introduce a new tag on the service=* level, as these primarily still
appear to be alleys and a new tag on that level might break existing
applications. So I'd say you could come up with something like:

highway=service
service=alley
alley=green_alley

plus whatever other characteristics the alley has (surface=*, smoothness*,
access=*, ...).

Cheers,
 Harald.

On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 8:53 PM, Guillaume Pratte <
guilla...@guillaumepratte.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to have some advise on how best identify "green alleys" in
> OpenStreetMap data.
>
> "Green alleys" (ruelles vertes in French) are alleys that a group of local
> residents embellish with vegetation.
>
> Here is the Wikipedia page on the subject in Montréal:
> http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruelle_verte
>
> Here is a link in English:
> http://kandkadventures.com/green-alleys-of-montreal/
>
> These green alleys are identifiable because they have dedicated signs for
> them:
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:WTMTL_T52_DSF2289.JPG
>
> There are hundreds of them in Montréal:
> http://goo.gl/maps/cMaor
>
> The project seems unique to Montreal. Other cities have "green alleys"
> (Chicago, Austin (Texas), Seattle, City of Dubuque and some others), but
> the program in the states is about the permeability of the pavement:
>
> http://www.cityofchicago.org/dam/city/depts/cdot/Green_Alley_Handbook_2010.pdf
>
> However, in some cases, like the City of Dubuque, they also have a
> recognizable sign:
>
> http://www.dmgov.org/Government/CityCouncil/WorkshopDocuments/072511Green%20Alley%20Infrastructure.pdf
> (image on page 14)
>

> All of these green alleys are already identified as:
>   highway = service
>   service = alley
>
> Would it be possible to use some kind of "green alley" tag for these
> service alleys?
>
> Or would it be better to use a more general concept of a "green space" or
> of a community-driven green project?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Guillaume

Please use encrypted communication whenever possible!
Key-ID: 0x34cb93972f186565