Hello,

Said simply, we are looking for the following:

*       Building type (residential, commercial, industrial, school, farm, etc.)
*       Building name
*       Address
*       Use (this is similar to type but I understand that there needs to be an
attribute to capture stuff like office=government)
*       Wheelchair access

I have looked at the tags structure and it doesn't look too complicated. One
discussion we had was about two options.

The first was to define the building and have all shops and amenities brought
under the building. This is not how it's done on OSM. There are markers to
identify those.
The feeling at first was that this is a good idea so they all have the common
address and location of the building and everything there is associated to the
building.

The sentiment has changed about this, however. The way it's done now seems
preferable: buildings and info about them with businesses and amenities as
markers with their own info so basically not changing how it's done.
We have compared with other larger cities and this seems to be the way everyone
is doing it anyway

Bjenk Ellefsen, PhD

Data Exploration and Integration Lab (DEIL) | Lab pour l'exploration et
l'intégration de données (LEID)
Center for Special Business Projects | Centre des Projets Spéciaux sur les
entreprises
Statistics Canada | Statistique Canada
(343) 998-3004 (Ottawa / Gatineau)