Hi.

I think there's been a misunderstand, maybe I'm not being clear.

I did some quick analysis of the data & current OSM data. There are
about 622 trees which are inside a building. about 300 which are <1m
from the centre line of a road.

For example there are some trees-inside-buildings around here (
https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/45.39017/-75.75801 ) and (
https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/45.4187/-75.7007 ). My JOSM
validator didn't flag "tree inside building", so you can't rely on that
to figure it out.

There are "trees very close to road centreline" around here (
https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/45.28647/-75.70499 ) or (
https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/45.40001/-75.75015 )

For a dataset of 150k, these numbers are pretty good.

When doing an import, it's important that someone does this sort of
work. That's part of the process of doing an import, to learn more about
the accuracy of the data you have, and to check how it would look after
you import it. You shouldn't just presume everything will fit together
100%, someone needs to do this sort of analysis.

I suggest you filter out the small number of suspicious trees, and
either manually enter them, change the OSM data, and/or contact the City
of Ottawa to tell them about possible errors in their data.

BTW I noticed there are lots of address interpolation ways from a 2011
CanVec import, and then lots of buildings with address tags from a
building import this year. The old address lines weren't removed, so I
think there are thousands (hundreds of thousands) of duplicate addresses
in Ottawa? Have you noticed this? This is a danger of doing an import
without looking at the existing OSM data.

Doing some data analysis isn't a "mechanical edit", you're looking at
the data, not editing it.

Rory