Hello

I've noticed some users have begun tagging some roads in a number of
Canadian cities with lcn=yes tags, which are intended for marking local
cycling routes. My understanding of the lcn tag was that it was intended
for marking designated routes, not just any old way that is potentially
bikeable or personal preferences cycling routes.

For many roads, the lcn tag seems redundant, since these ways are already
tagged with cycleway=lane or something similar, and there is no
accompanying lcn_ref tag to provide information on individual route names
or numbers (if they exist). Other roads have been tagged, but have no
infrastructure or signage, which suggests someone is simply marking their
personal routes.

I'd like to think I have some sort of expertise in what constitutes an
official local cycling route in my area, having served as a member and
later chair of the Kitchener Cycling and Trails Advisory Committee for
several years. There are some signed routes that myself and others in the
area have properly marked with relations. But is my understanding of what
the lcn tag is for wrong? I'd like to know before I start cleaning things
up.

Thanks
Mike

--