Hi John,

I think this approach has merit.

Probably it would work if we take a similar approach to what BikeOttawa is doing with OSM data, they wanted a "Level Of Traffic Stress" map.  To that they defined the set of interesting tags, started collecting data, then draw a map.  Now people are looking at the map and pointing out errors in map data (which there are lots) or things that need improving in the algorithm (which probably there are also lots).  [The tagging scheme was previously discussed on this list]

So if someone had a building-related use case they were deriving from OSM data, then local mappers could check how the buildings in their area align to whatever is that goal.  Last week I started looking a building heights... I was using https://osmbuildings.org/ to look at the areas I know and then look for buildings that seem to be the wrong height then going out to count the windows (vertically) to get the number of levels. It will make the map look better. However, it would be better if there was a more defined project than just looking at the map.

On 2018-02-07 11:44 AM, john whelan wrote:
Unfortunately having a valid license is not the whole story.  In Montreal we appear to have a valid license we can import from and they have building data on their open data portal.  Unfortunately technically the quality and ease of use appears to be lower than Ottawa's.

I suspect that we need to see how the NRC LiDAR data unfolds and my gossip says there is work being done there on deep learning that may well be useful.

I think what we need at the moment is something to keep the project moving forward and I suspect that will be adding tags to existing buildings.  On the schools front some background as to the value of the stats from tagging the buildings might be worth its weight in gold.

Cheerio John