Based on my own experience Government Open Data and OpenStreetMap have very
different cultures and work in different time frames.  Licensing has been
an issue, it only took five years to get the license for the GTFS local bus
stops changed so we could import them but I think we are moving forward.

I think the difficulty with mapathons is finding things that add value and
the quality of the data.  Local mappers enriching the tags from
building=yes to other values is helpful.

Some Government Open Data is less accurate or recent than one might like
but overall hopefully we should be able to come up with something that
smaller municipalities or municipalities in locations where cost is a major
factor for GIS will find useful.

Cheerio John