https://www.openstreetmap.org/search?query=arthur%20mark%20drive%20port%20hope%20ontario#map=17/43.96262/-78.27069

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.9631101,-78.2732195,17.25z

https://www.bing.com/maps?FORM=Z9LH3

Port Hope Ontario is relatively obscure yet both Bing and google have
buildings and neither company would spend the money dropping them in unless
they saw a demand.

A small sample but I'm sure that others are quite capable of looking
locally for themselves.

I'm a shades of grey person so to me there is no absolute need to have
buildings in OpenStreetMap and I think different end users have different
expectations.  I seem to recall osmand has a street only map which takes up
less room on the device.  It's perfectly adequate for some users.

I can make a case for both having them and not having any.  On the not
having any way up there would be the buildings added by inexperienced
mappers using iD often in HOT projects.  There are duplicates, strange
shapes that bare no relation to any imagery, and city blocks marked as a
single building.  On the having them side would be where can I get a coffee
and wifi?

There are many users of the map who would like to see buildings or more
importantly have building information available in an electronic form.

For Ottawa I think I can safely say the local mappers are happy with the
imported buildings.  In OpenStreetMap there will always be a range of
points of view.

As you say it is for the local mappers to decide what they would like to
do.  In this case is it difficult to define the local mappers.

Cheerio John