If you’re interested in forming local mapper groups based on actual
contributions to OSM you are free to use the Meet Your Mapper tool I built a
little while ago.

You can draw a bounding box and retrieve a list of mappers who contributed
there. It generates some basic stats such as number of nodes / ways / relations
and tries to classify mappers in a few categories.

Some more information here:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/mvexel/diary/44833
<https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/mvexel/diary/44833> and the tool lives at
https://mym.rtijn.org/ <https://mym.rtijn.org/>