Thanks for the quick replies!
Now, about...
a) Data hosting:
Thank you James, I really appreciate your offer (and that of others). So yes, I
think hosting pre-processed data in the task manager, for approved regions, is
an attractive offer. When we agree on a municipality for pre-processing, I will
contact you to make the data available.
BTW, I thought ODB data in OSM format was hosted with the OSMCanada task
manager. I understand that ODB data are currently converted on the fly when
requested?
b) Task manager work units for import:
I agree with Nate, ~ 200 buildings or ~ 1,500 nodes would be suitable. I was
thinking at the same importation rate, but for an hour of work. It seems best
to target 20-minute tasks.
c) Task manager work units for checking already imported data
According to Nate, it is definitely not faster than actively importing. We
should then keep the above setup (b).
However, what if I add a new tag to pre-processed data indicating if a building
was altered or not by the orthogonalization (and simplification) process? For
instance, building:altered=no, would identify buildings that were not changed
by the process and that could be left unchanged in OSM (i.e. not imported);
building:altered=yes for those who were changed by the process and that should
be imported again. The same pre-processed datasets could then be made available
for all cases. Thoughts?
d) Finding local mappers:
I agree with Nate's suggestion to try contacting the top 10 mappers in an area.
Using the "main activity center" would work for most of the contributors but
selecting other overlays (.e.g. an activity center over last 6 months) could
also work great. As long as we identify who might be interested in knowing
there is an import coming.
Comments are welcome, particularly about the proposal on c)
Daniel