2011/1/6 Oscar Orbe <oskaro...@yahoo.com>

> hello emilie
> only four layers are imported now, not many  many layers like in france.
> the data is corine 2006 ,  duplicated nodes are removed with josm

JOSM is very inefficient at this. There are tools like the one on the Corine
Page to remove duplicate nodes before even importing the data. When doing an
import, we should fix before importing, not the reverse.

> i have questions:
> why did you add a buffer inside spain? why not using the border to cut it?

Because at the time it was very difficult to do it. Before we added that bit
into Spain, we asked specifically if people were happy about it. The problem
is the file we were given was not perfect and had the buffer already
included. That would have meant cutting a polygon with the same id.

> is anybody now maintaining the data?

The data is being maintained by local contributors. Access to Spot Images
and now allowed lots of people to improve the precision of the data of
Corine.

> i mean, in the center of france there are many changes I think, the farms
> the meadow the crops everything is changing . do you think it's a good idea
> to import so many things?

Farms, meadows are not changing that much. Towns are expanding, forest
expanding or decreasing, etc... but you can only know if you have something
in place. CLC was a good starting point for people. I regularly correct my
area once I have aerial photography to take into account newer data.
The import was decided by the community it was possible to opt out if the
people wanted to. We are not tagging the crop so we don't care. It was
considered a good idea by the people, and everything that was considered
good was imported.
The French CLC import took almost 8 months to complete between developping
the code, checking Mapnik rendering and so on.
Maintenance in general in OSM is an issue whether it is CLC or not.
I don't foresee any upgrade to Corine even if we were to get something
better considering the correction that many people did.

Emilie Laffray