Thanks for that reply. I tried to communicate twitch the only working
channel (the OSM talk list has various issues and automatically
unsubscribes many users for technical reasons, mainly issues on the
configuration of their servers: the MLM does not deliver mails to
subscribers, they are frequently bounced due to this).

I had attempted to use it several times. I used the changeset comments to
discuss that, but blocking me via the DWG (without even any contact via the
OSM personal messages or direct emails to me) is really unfair, and
precipitated. It's largely overreactive.

but my OSM block (repeated instantly without notice while I was talking)
has also the effect that it blocks all sorts of communication in OSM. I did
not want to hurt any one but try to make things consistently.

I know that comarcas are not defined nationally by law. But each region
(autonomous community) has an official status of autonomy that defines
their own divisions, which are the legacy provinces, but with now very
limited powers, and the comarcas and municipalities.

In addition municipalities can group together for some objectives of
cooperation (this is completely similar to French intercommunalities,
except that some of them are also recognized nationally and have a fiscal
autonomy and are even now required by law to be impelmetned with mandatory
missions; for optional missions, they can still cooperate openly, in open
groups mixing municipalities for their territory or part of them,
departments and regions as fund providers, or some private or semi-private
institutions like chambers of commerce or agriculture, or agencies for
managing natural parks).

I also know that despite the fact that provincial can no longer define
"comarcas" with adminsitrative status, they still promote "touristic"
comarcas, more or less linked to former traditional comarcas. As well the
state (ministries) defines its own delimitations for agriculture planning
and management of national and european funds. They should not call them
"comarcas" even if they have some limited functions (only for the relevant
missions that the state can define or plan itself, however the state has to
delegate the funds and empowering of these missions to the autonomous
communities to implement them; the provinces are a sort of legacy inherited
from the Franco period; lot of things have changed at end of the 1980's
when autonomous communities got powered).

Anyway, there's still the need to manage the transition. I've found that
not just Aragon, Galicia and Catalunya have defined comarcal delimitations,
and that other regions have also regulated this (this is part of their
autonomy status, including Asturias). Not all have decided completely their
comarcal delimiation, but Aragon has done it in a law which is easy to find.

For other regions, there's no better consistant comarcal definition than
those defined by the state, i.e. agrarian comarca, which are the first kind
of classification we can make, and which is also the one decided by the
Spanish community in Wikimedia (Wikipedia, Commons and Wikidata, however
not all is very well sorted and there are lot of works as all kinds of
comarcas are also described, documented, but not properly sorted by kind;
the variosu images and annexes present different point of views based on
one definition or another or different times). I just used what is the
currrent best classification (on which contributors find things easily, but
I do not exclude the existence of others.

But not sorting the municipalities in Spain does not help to locate them:
they have conflicting names, so they use various suffixes to disambiguate
them, and this is also complicated by the linguistic divisions (mainly: the
national official Spanish/Castillian language, plus Galician, Estremaduran,
Asturian, Basque, Catalan, and its minor Valencian and Balearic variants)
which is used in official names of municipalities (showing dual languages:
Spanish+regional, and some smaller parts with Occitan, or French in Val
d'Aran) and in some comarcas officialized by the region (this is the case
in Aragon).

Also what I did was to check the municipalities to make sure they don't
have broken holes (there's a complicate case in one of them, Xativa in the
Valencian community, is repeatedly broken as it is highly fragmented in a
"patchwork" way with many small fragments), ordering them, completing the
lists (there were some municipalities forgotten in provinces). Sorting them
allowed easier identification and was a step prior to classifying them and
making sure nothing was forgotten.

There's a case in Aragon where the law of comarcalization and end of 2006
forgets one municipality separated from Zaragoza some months before, i.e.
Villamayor de Gallego; the law lists Villanueva de Gallego only). But there
was a correction published in a later addenda by the region of Aragon in
its bulletin. I had to fix that as well by searches and verifications.

Even outside comarcas, the mancommunidades are easy to map, I think, and
cover now almost all Spain

(except possibly depopulated areas that are managed by specific
comarca-like groups, or "hermandas" grouping several municipatities
managing them and owning them in an indivision, when their members are not
in the same mancommunidades; this occurs sometimes at linguistic boundaries
in regions that are officially multilingual (Castillian Spanish, plus one
or two regional languages : this occurs in Navarra with its complex and
evolving 3 linguistic areas which changed in 2006).

I also know that some traditional comarcas evolved later to become a single
municipalitiy but kept their comarcal designation (including "Hermanda")
while also joining newer/larger comarcas (this also forced the change of
delimitation of traditional comarcas to include the additional areas of the
merged municipality...

As well this situation is similar in France (there are even cases where
municipalities had to change from one departement to another, and other
official divisons were updated).

It is hard in OSM to manage "traditional comarcas" because they have no
well defined timeframe of reference and mapping them today using today's
delimitation of municipalities is just an approximation that would not
match the historic grouping of villages and hamlets or today's depopulated
areas before the creation of today's municipalities.

But regional (or agrarian otherwise) comarcas are well defined.
Provincial comarcas ("touristic") are quite fuzzy but should not be
considered "adminsitrative" at all (not suitable for admin_level 7): I've
kept them but reclassified them wometimes to avoid conflicts with the
regional comarcas, unless there are rules that provinces can still make on
them, for some purpose that provinces can legally decide themselves
independantly of the region.

Note: I've used "region" and "regional" for short of "autonomous
community", but the Spanish users I spoke to were also using this short
term (in Spanish).

Thanks.