From: Richard Fairhurst <rich...@systemed.net>
Date: Thu, May 27, 2010 at 2:33 PM
Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] Italian Government approved the use of
official        data for OpenStreetMap updates
To: t...@openstreetmap.org

Simone Cortesi wrote:

> We are still dealing out on how to use this thru editors which do
> not make use of WMS access to imagery.
>
> Will potlatch or mapzen get WMS anytime soon?

Potlatch 1 will never have WMS support. Spherical Mercator is
sufficiently hardwired into the code that supporting arbitrary WMS
projections would be pretty much impossible. If the WMS server
supported spherical Mercator I guess it'd be possible but it's not
something I'm planning to do.

Potlatch 2 is a bit more projection-indepedent so could be made to
support WMS in due course. It's not a priority for me because all the
cool imagery is already in 900913 tiles. But
http://svn.openstreetmap.org/applications/editors/potlatch2/ awaits
your contributions!

IIRC there was some software released recently that will reproject
nasty WMS to lovely 900913 tiles on the fly - sorry, can't remember
the name but I’m sure someone here will. You could perhaps set this up
on the dev server or similar. That'd be the fastest way of getting it
into Potlatch.

The imagery sounds very cool.

cheers
Richard