I am also very much in favour of adding separate sidewalks where there is a benefit for pedestrian routing or accessibility. I have added quite a few of them, mostly on main roads.

Where they can be less useful, even when done properly, is on long residential streets without formal crossing points or even connections with driveways and alleys. These can produce some rather "scenic" routes.