On 5 Jul 2010, at 09:03, Ed Loach wrote:

> Reading further down the wiki page, access= is a general term which
> includes foot as a sub-level of the hierarchy. The road should
> probably be tagged access=no, foot=yes (assuming that is the case).
> In this case I'd say Cloudmade's route planner is correct.

That is in fact already the case. Here's the full set of tags for the relevant
bit of Sidney Street:

<<inline: Screen shot 2010-07-05 at 09.11.58.png>>

It has access=no, but also bicycle=yes, foot=yes, and
designation=pedestrian_zone. The intended meaning of "foot=yes" and
"bicycle=yes" are pretty clear, but CloudMade's route finder still ignores
them, and (I'm still only guessing that) this is because of "access=no", the
intended meaning of which is somewhat less clear.

So even if "access=no" does actually mean "no access to anybody, on foot or by
transport", is it still generally acceptable to use a general tag like that and
to list exceptions like "foot=yes"? Or is it just contradictory to have
"access=no" and "foot=yes" on the same way?

Tim