On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 9:59 AM, Robert Whittaker (OSM)
<robert.whittaker+...@gmail.com> wrote:

> There's a facility of some sort on the Icknield way, with a pipeline
> mapped going SW from it at
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=52.46023&mlon=0.84189&zoom=16&layers=O

That one I got from faint marks on the ground in bing, that line up
quite well with the facility (which I think is gas).  I found an
online document mentioning that pipeline, but haven't been able to
find it again.  BTW I think that's Peddar's Way rather than Icknield
Way.

I marked a few more fragments last night, from faint marks on the
ground in bing; at first I was hesitant about tagging them as
pipeline, but, using the criteria that it must be a straight line, and
must line up with another such line which has other evidence
(transitively) or with a marker or pumping compound, I've joined some
up to make a continuous way:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/133213587  I haven't been able
to find any further marks in that direction, though.

The direction it's pointing, I suspect, will line it up with the mark
near Burwell that Keith mentioned.

There's another long straight mark in the fields near the north-east
end of that one, which I've entered as
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/133279546 but am not yet
confident about tagging as a pipeline.  However there is a pale square
on the ground at its northeast end, and another square nearby in the
same direction, and they're near a right-of-way, so should be easy to
investigate a bit further.

ISTR that the document I found but now can't find again indicated that
it's the same gas pipeline that passes the Peddar's Way.

__John