Few pointers for you:

1. Make sure the tracklog is set for "time" and recording at 1sec interval
2. In "Setup", select "Map" and then change the screen to the "Map Setup -
tracks" page. Set the "Track Points" value to 10001. This will make sure you
can see the full 3 hours ish of 1 sec points on the screen. Useful if you
are out mapping for a long morning etc. Setting this value has no impact on
what is recoded to the SD card.
3. From "Setup", "System", set WASS/EGNOS to on and make sure the correct
type of battery is selected. 2500mAh or better rechargeable batteries are
best.

For maps, I'd suggest downloading the UK dataset (routable version) from
http://talkytoaster.info/ukmaps.htm
Once downloaded you need to unzip the .img file to the Garmin folder on the
SD card. You also need to rename the file to just IMAPSUPP.IMG

Hope this helps

Cheers

Andy