Hi all,

Wanted to share this brief success story for OpenStreetMap. I was marshalling at a 40 mile walk/run around Birmingham's canals the other weekend and the start/end was at "Ackers": http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=52.45905&lon=-1.85263&zoom=17&layers=M

Apart from spending the quiet moments taking GPS readings/traces and updaing the map I also overheard a competitor at the end asking how to get into central Birmingham to catch her bus home, she had a day bus ticket so preferred to go in by bus. The answer she was given was "I don't know", I was sitting nearby with my laptop and Mifi so called here over, showed her Openstreetmap with the "Transport" view and we quickly determined where the nearest bus stop was on the best route into town! To my knowledge not possible with any other website?

So to all who have contributed with NAPTAN uploads, correcting the bus routes, moving bus stops and generally updating the Birmingham map a big THANK YOU from her.

By the way, I have no idea if she found the bus stop, caught the right bus or even made it home! She may still be roaming the streets of Birmingham but hey, I got to show her a pretty map, so lets hope it was accurate. ;-)

One improvement to the Bus details would be a link on the route that takes the user to the Operators' timetable or even live data. Thoughts?

Jonathan