"there is little chance of the average mapper verifying them or interacting
with them"

I've always thought that kind of thinking (not to belittle it, as it's a
valid thought process) isn't worthwhile - limiting features because we
can't imagine it being used is based on the limits of our imagination. Just
because we can't see it being used doesn't mean someone else won't, and
come up with something that'll solve a neat problem.

I would have thought, and I speak only as a passive OSM contributor & user,
that making OSM a more comprehensive database is a good thing, tying
together all those disparate boundaries into one lookup, effectively.

Phil

--
Philip John,
philipjohn.co.uk