Brian wrote:

> I've not changed any boundary WAYS as that is a massive job. I think that we
> really don't need the ways any longer as the relations will get rendered, but
> that's another discussion entirely and a tedious job to do. But perhaps we'd
> better do it to avoid confusing software and humans

I've done it - my boundary analyser that generates the data for
http://www.loach.me.uk/osm/boundaries/
allows me (when run manually rather than as a scheduled task) to open just the
boundary ways which should have the specified admin level (but don't) in JOSM.

I used to 'fix' these nationally on a fairly regular basis, decided they were
optional, so stopped doing so. However, I believe it makes rendering easier if
they are specified and 'correct' based on the boundary relations they are in.

I've tried to restrict the ones I've changed today to just those in the West
Midlands area, but may have got any that are in the same bbox but outside the
region. I updated 47 ways:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/28255092

Ed