Mark,

The Lidar data we took a look at for OpenStreetMap was the Environment
Agency data - we didn't collect anything ourselves. For OSM you'd need 50cm
resolution or better plus lots of people dedicated to then converting that
in to map data.

You may want to look at "StreetView" type images for interesting sites.
Have a look at http://www.mapillary.com/

Best,
*Rob*