Hi Brian,

There seems to be a few types of data in there:- BCC, Highways England and
Car Parking signs. I'm not sure if these *need* treating separately but it
may be worth doing so anyway. The car parks should be small enough to start
with and will enable us to get a good grip of the data.

For short description the bits that seems useful is the sign size (e.g.
3x18) which I assume is rows and characters. In "M6/6054A" the M6 is
obviously the road and I believe the "A" indicates which side of the road
it is on (see: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:carriageway_ref ).
Do you know what the "6054" means? Wait... found it! It looks like it is
the asset reference for the structure that the sign is attached to. See for
example:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.4905635,-1.7319734,3a,15y,288.18h,88.53t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sgldMiJ0rpLi97FRlvR32CQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

If all the motorway or trunk ones are like this then may put the "M6/6054A"
bit in a tag such as gantry_ref=.

Do we know what "SPICE" means? I seem to recall hearing it before but
cannot remember. What about "MS3"/"MS4"?

Finally, if we add these, do they get mapped to the side of the road or as
a node on the road? Gut feeling is that it as a node so that it is more
useful for data users.

Thanks,

*Rob*