Hi folks,

For my dad's campaigning for the local branch of a certain major
political party, he has maps of local Birmingham ward boundaries.

I've asked him about these and he says the maps themselves are
copyrighted but the ward boundaries are public since "people need to
know them."

Is this true? More importantly, does getting the boundaries from these
maps constitute a derivative work? And would these be any way round this?

My thought was I couldn't copy directly from the maps but I could use
them to work out what features these boundaries were on then follow with
a GPS (without having map with me).

Cheers,

Tom.