Angela,

Well really you should read and understand the project wiki, especially the
links from the front page at http://wiki.openstreetmap.org as this will
explain most of your basic questions. Feel free then to ask more specific
questions on specific matters once you have a better feel. I would also
recommend posting specific questions to [EMAIL PROTECTED] as you will
find a wider audience there.

Cheers

Andy