On 23 Dec 2008, at 16:41, David Earl wrote:

> On 23/12/2008 14:48, Peter Miller wrote:
>> I am pleased to be able to announce that after discussions between
>> various OSM contributors and the DfT / Traveline over the past
>> months we are now able to make this announcement just in time for
>> Xmas :)
>> ---
>> The UK Department for Transport, together with Traveline, is offering
>> to make available the bulk of the data from their NaPTAN and NPTG
>> data sets to
>> the OpenStreetMap project.
>
> Excellent news indeed. Well done.
>
> It will be interesting to see how these align with existing data.

As with every dataset there are of course errors (I know of a locality
in the wrong place in Ipswich for example and another that doesn't
actually exist). The first job would be to try matching up places from
each source and spot the conflicts.

> Place names are going to be an interesting exercise as they are
> unlikely to be in the same place - could be widely different.

The exciting thing about this from my side is that places (called
localities) also come with a hierarchy and a centre geocode and a
rough perimeter. We get the locality hierarchy because each place can
have a parent. The rough perimeter comes out because every Stop Point
is also associated with a locality, so one can put a rubber-band
around all the stops that claim to be in Cambridge or a suburb of
Cambridge and one has an approximate boundary for the place.

Every bus stop also says which administrative area it is in (a county/
borough/PTE) and so we get approximate authority boundaries as well.

Other stuff - every stop should have an associated street name and a
direction of travel when it leaves the bus stop. This might help us
with naming streets or at least cross-checking our streets with theirs.

> I imagine I could help if you want/need assistance with importing.

Your help would I am sure be very welcome. Would you like to put your
offer/skills on the wiki?

Regards,

Peter