On 6 Jan 2009, at 22:54, OJ W wrote:

> I think the really big message from our day trying to find NCN51 was:
> please let people know when the route stops.  If some blue sign really
> is the *last* blue sign for 10 miles (e.g. through Cranfield which
> isn't signposted from the east either) then have a sign to say 'this
> is the end of our signage' and preferably display a map to show people
> how to reach the next section of NCN route.

I'd really love that. As another example, I thought I had completed
the southern end of the london cycle network route 23, but then months
later found some more signs several miles further south. It seems that
when you are heading southbound at Crystal Palace Parade, you have to
guess the next couple of junctions before you find another sign.

I'd also like to see more signage telling you which direction you are
travelling, especially when you hit a spur to the network. It can be
very annoying if you are out for a leisurely cycle and come across the
cycle network, and decide to follow it if it is going roughly the
direction you want to go, but are unable to due to not knowing where
it will take you. The sign shouldn't just give the next couple of
towns, rather a really big well known town/city/end of route that
everyone should know, as well.
I know the signage of the ncn21 from Caterham to just outside is very
good in this respect, so you know by going a short distance along the
route which direction your heading. All the direction signs have
Redhill for those travelling south bound and Grenwich for those
travelling north bound. Why can't more routes be like that?

> But in terms of OSM mapping, maybe Shaun can confirm this but I
> believe our coverage of NCN51 through Milton Keynes accurately
> represents what exists (as of summer 2008)

I can confirm that the map is as accurate as possible as at the time
when we cycled it. The signage of the route was pretty much non-
existent for the missing section of the route. Going through Milton
Keynes town was also a little confusing, as it was easy to mis-read
the signs.

Shaun