David Earl wrote:
> On 18/03/2009 10:36, Ed Loach wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Does anyone have suggestions on how best to tag breweries ...
>>
>> one in Bury St Edmunds is tagged landuse=industrial (with a visitor
>> centre attraction).
>>

> That was me. It really is a factory, so I felt industrial was
> appropriate. Is there something special about beer (in geographical
> terms) - for example, would there need to be a special designation for a
> factory making stockings or a printing works?
>
> In that sense it's a bit like shop=... We could either say what kind of
> factory something is, or just group them all under one heading, but I
> don't really see that modern brewing has something about it that makes
> is individually special over any other industrial process.

I have wondered if we need some sort of business tag.  business=brewing,
or business=sock_maker., so business=*  This could apply to a whole host
of things that otherwise don't warrant a special tag any other way.  The
usual name=, operator= and other such tags could apply and this could be
applied to either buildings or nodes.  It probably wouldn't be rendered
normally, but a Chamber of Commerce or the like might like such a map,
and a map version of Yellow Pages could become possible over time.

Cheers, Chris