On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 4:20 PM, Kev js1982 <o...@kevswindells.eu> wrote:
> depending on what the data is stored in - alas I have an issue where it
> isn't rendering tiles properly, looks to be memory related - those with
> really complex coastlines (North West Wales) are rendering in sea colour,
> and those with less complex coastlines (Birmingham) are only rendering roads
> for the first 50px or so from the left.....

i remember i had the same problem when i was trying to render tiles in
OSGB. i managed to "fix" it by importing the UK extract of the planet
into postgis in OSGB, rather than spherical mercator.

if i remember right, the problem stemmed from mapnik converting the
bounding box from the rendering CS into the DB CS (i.e: OSGB->900913)
to do the query and then converting it to the "screen" CS (i.e:
900913->OSGB-ish) to setup the draw clipping box. it wasn't
calculating the second transform correctly - or the results were being
swamped by numerical error - so the clip box was offset from the
drawing area, producing the blank areas you're seeing.

i can't remember why i didn't fix mapnik, but i think it may have been
easier to just re-import the database in the "native" projection and
avoid all the issues.

hope this helps,

matt