On 13 Jun 2009, at 09:30, Peter Childs wrote:

2009/6/11 Ed Loach <e...@loach.me.uk>:
And here is the current OSM guidance:-
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:admin_level#admin_level

In order to tie in with NUTS and with guidance for other
countries
within OSM we might want to do the following for England
(Scotland
and Wales would be similar but would skip some levels):-

UK (admin_level=2)
England/Wales/Scotland (admin_level=4)
English regions (North East, East of England etc) (also
admin_level=4
as per NUTS)
Ceremonial counties - where they exist (admin_level= 5)
County Councils/Unitary Authorities (admin-level=6)
Districts  (admin-level=8)  districts / London boroughs /
metropolitan
boroughs.

Whats the simplest way of adding a boundary? I notice that Medway does
not have one, I know ruthley where it should be, but have no idea of
how to go about adding the relevant relation/way. I'm fine adding
Roads and smaller stuff but the boundary stuff just throws me.

It is better to use a relation for the boundary rather than way tags which used to be the only way to do it. Add the appropriate existing ways (rivers/roads etc) to a new relation. You may need to split roads/ rivers where the boundary diverges. For some sections of the boundary you will need to add new ways (where it goes across fields). I just add a 'note=administrative boundary' tag to those ways.

The only source of data we can legally use for the boundary to by knowledge is the NPE maps base which shows boundaries as a dotted line if you are lucky and if they have not moved in the past 50 years. I also check wikipedia as a cross check (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:EnglandMedway.png ) and then the official council website to see if there is general agreement on the shape and extent.

It isn't perfect - to be perfect our democratic government will need to persuade the OS to give its citizens the boundaries by which it is governed. Until now lets do the best we can and when people say they are wrong we will ask them to provide the information to correct it!

Btw, OSM and the UK Boundaries project got a mention on the Guardians data blog yesterday.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2009/jun/11/opensourc

Regards,

Peter

Peter.