On 22 Jun 2009, at 15:59, Peter Childs wrote:

> 2009/6/22 Ed Loach <e...@loach.me.uk>:
>> The Essex one I traced from the dotted line on NPE. I'm not sure
>> about 12 miles for county boundaries - I don't think Essex would
>> want to have to maintain it's own navy to repel Suffolk encroachers
>> for example.
>>
>> Having said that, I think I read somewhere that UK beaches below the
>> high water mark are Crown property, so perhaps the county councils
>> just look after them for the Queen?
>>

> Yes but what about the pier (which sticks into the sea) and is
> therefore below the high water mark, Full of shops and licensed
> premises.....

Navteq doesn't acknowledge the pier at Clacton, nor does TeleAtlas
(from Bing); the OS county boundary from Meridian also ignores the
pier. OSM shows the pier as 'man_made=pier' going out from the shore
and Mapink renders it like land. I would suggest that it correct. As
for whether it is 'in Essex' or not I suggest that a judge would say
it was even though the OS say it is not!

> If Essex is worried about invasion from Sussex, We'll send a force in
> from Kent.

Or from Suffolk!

Regards,

Peter