On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 1:37 PM, Peter Miller<peter.mil...@itoworld.com> wrote:

> Without going through every edit in the changeset it will be hard to
> determine. If we do have to go through every changeset then we might as well
> revert them by hand. Possibly we need to leave this until better tools are
> available or challenge some clever person to write the required tool in the
> next day or two.

OK, I now have a tool that will revert all the components of a
changeset that haven't been reverted already, and ignore everything
that has been changed since. And now I have a good example of why it's
not that straightforward. Take this:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/242058267/history
The guy moved it (v3), and then deleted it (v4). So reverting it would
put it back to v2. But if it was deleted out of a way, and that way
has been moved since, it wouldn't put it back in the way again since
that way wouldn't be reverted. Which makes it a bit pointless. And
maybe someone has fixed the way (adding in a new node there, or
nearby, or similar) so this node isn't needed. So it's impossible to
tell what to do with the node.

So after a few hours of investigating this, I'm back to where I
started* - reverting changesets is easy so long as nothing has changed
since. Anything else needs a graphical editor. Better such tools can
be created, and ideas/mockups/code is wanted.

So for the future, if there's another changeset that needs sorting
out, please consider asking someone to revert it before anyone tries
to manually fix it. Manually fixing stuff is of course fine but it's
an all-or-nothing approach that can't be "finished off" with a script.

Cheers,
Andy

*Determination only gets you so far before reality kicks in.