On Thu, 23 Jul 2009, Greg Stark wrote:

> Fwiw even (1) isn't necessarily true. The Magic Roundabout famously
> has a counter-clockwise loop in the centre. And there are other such
> roundabouts where the central loop isn't even one-way.

I wouldn't really consider the magic roundabout to be a roundabout
(although others may disagree I guess...  I certainly wouldn't expect a
satnav to say "take the 4th exit at the roundabout" when approaching the
magic roundabout :).  It is really a collection of interlinked
miniroundabouts.

> I do think (5) is kind of important. Critically there are special laws
> dictating right-of-way and rules for navigating roundabouts which
> aren't necessarily the same as for a simple loop of one-way roads.

Not really - the right of way laws for a roundabout are the same as any
other one way system that consists of a major road with side-roads joining
it (i.e. you give way to the traffic already on the major road).  I guess
things get fuzzier as the roundabouts become smaller and the "give way to
the right" rule starts talking about traffic that is still on the side
road to the right instead of actually on the roundabout.

> I have to say I find it awfully annoying to edit ways in an area where
> every path is broken up into ten million single segment paths because
> there are bridges, tunnels, surface changes, hazards, etc. It would be
> awfully nice to have one reasonably big way and then shorter ways
> marking the exceptions.

IMHO this could be better done with relations and improvements to the
editors.

  - Steve
    xmpp:st...@nexusuk.org   sip:st...@nexusuk.org   http://www.nexusuk.org/