>My main comment was that the proposal didn't 'sit' well with the
government regional structures.

I do have to make the comment though that the government regional
structures are rather arbitrary and do not reflect real cultural regions.

Where I am in Southampton, I'm supposedly in the same governnment regional
area as places 100 or 150 miles east of me, yet places just 10 miles to
the northwest are in a different regional area. Thus if we are to organise
English regional chapters, they should revolve around real population
centres (e.g. Southampton/Portsmouth/Bournemouth, Bristol, Newcastle, etc)
rather than arbitrary and meaningless government definitions.

Nick