On 13 Sep 2009, at 22:55, Thomas Wood wrote:

> 2009/9/13 Peter Miller <peter.mil...@itoworld.com>:
>>
>> On 13 Sep 2009, at 22:41, Thomas Wood wrote:
>>
>>> These maps are already rectified of course, it's usually good to
>>> convert the OS coordinates to Lat/Lons and then set the grid corners
>>> as reference points.
>>
>> But my photographs of the maps will have introduced some tilt and
>> other
>> distortions, so it does need some control points. Possibly you are
>> saying
>> that I can calculate the control points from the OS grid references
>> for the
>> corners. That may indeed be true.
>
> Yes, it is a shame that they're too large to be scanned at once, it'd
> make for a much better image. You seem to have achieved fairly
> reasonable results with a camera though.

I would consider getting them scanned, but I have no idea where or how
much is costs and I had a camera to hand! I tripod would have helped,
but I was keen to get on with it.

The plan now is to give the maps to the local records office however I
though I would investigate getting the scanned first - or possibly the
records office has a suitable scanner. I do know that Steve Chilton
has access to one, but then there is the problem of getting them there
and there might also be a charge of course.

Regards,

Peter