Peter Miller wrote:
> I get the impression that rectification gets a lot harder as the angle
> gets more slight and it is clear to me that a camera pointing straight
> down would be the most useful device going forward.
Not easy to do.  You can't legally modify an aircraft at all without
invalidating its certificate of airworthiness, so where to mount the
camera?
> The time of day is also important to avoid long shadows.
Generally an overcast day reduces the contrast to make the photos easier
to use, but shadows can actually be very helpful.  They give an
impression of height for some things.  For archeology shadows sometimes
showed medieval ridge and furrow field systems and the edges of roman
building platforms.  Winter time when there are no leaves on the trees
will reveal much more detail.  The true route of roads and streams are
easily hidden by tree cover from the air.  Calm winter days often are
less turbulent than summer days so the 'plane as a platform is
steadier.  (Clear blue skies in summer can be VERY bumpy in the air).