Chris Hill <o...@...> writes:

>><http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.openstreetmap.legal/2544>

>I believe that the list from RM still is their copyright even though it
>has been supplied as from a request using the FoIA, so we can read it,
>find the box and add what we find to OSM, but just loading the list data
>into OSM is probably a breach of RM's copyright.

Probably true, but it is not possible to just load the list data into OSM
because the list does not contain adequate location information.  So people
have to locate the postboxes either by hand or by matching against existing
postbox nodes in OSM.

>I found hunting down stray post boxes was satisfying and led to me
>finding all sorts of other detailed stuff.  Once you have the
>information gathered from the ground why not use it to update OSM rather
>than Draco's site since Draco will pull it in later from OSM anyway?

Yes, I'm doing that, but it is a bit disheartening to return from a postbox
mapping expedition to find that all 250 postboxes in the area were already
located on the Dracos site, but the information hadn't percolated back to
OSM.

--
Ed Avis <e...@waniasset.com>