Peter Miller wrote:

> I was wondering if 'type approval' for powered hang-gliders allows for
> bolt-on vertical cameras. Thinking about it I am going to worry a bit
> more about hang glider pilots dropping phones and cameras etc next
> time they are wandering about overhead!

A powered hang-glider is a microlight and subject to strict CAA rules.
Modifications that might allow a bolted-on object (like a camera) to
fall off if the fixing was not done properly are outside the approval of
such an aircraft. The only way to operate such an aircraft leaves very
little opportunity to modify it in the UK.

You might mean a powered paraglider.  I wouldn't want to fly a powered
paraglider over a built up area, where would you land if (when) your
motor stops?  The glide ratio is terrible, so the distance you could
glide is quite short.

Cheers, Chris