On 24 Feb 2010, at 01:16, Peter Reed wrote:

> Steve,
>
> It needn't be parishes. For population data it looks as though I can
> get
> down to ward level with up-to-date numbers from ONS.
> http://www.statistics.gov.uk/statbase/Product.asp?vlnk=13893
>
> Looking at the ONS lists there are about 9,000 wards in England (and
> about
> 10,000 parishes). It's going to take a while to trace them all!
>
> More importantly it seems to me that this will only work when the
> boundaries
> are meaningful to the community at large. I used the term
> "settlement" in
> that sense, as a loose catchall for any city, town, village, or
> suburb that
> was meaningful. The Opencyclemap locations seem to take a similar
> approach,
> and seemed like a good starting point.

I get the impression that the OS BoundaryLine dataset may possibly get
released under a suitable license for us prior to any upcoming general
election. If so then this would be a huge boost to this work.
http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/products/boundaryline/

Incidentally, the OS have already released the boundary ontology on a
cc-by-nc license (which is a start but not good enough for OSM
unfortunately due to the 'non-commercial' clause)
http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/ontology/

So... I suggest that we leave any heroic additional boundary data
collection for a month or so to see what happens.

Regards,

Peter