On 1 April 2010 09:41, Tom Chance <t...@acrewoods.net> wrote:
> It's up and available:
> http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/opendata/licence/docs/licence.pdf
>
> The main wrinkle seems to be this part on their requirement for attribution:
>
> "include the same acknowledgement requirement in any sub-licenses of the
> data that you grant, and a requirement that any further sub-licenses do the
> same"
>
> Can anyone comment on what that means for us, i.e. whether a simple
> note on the wiki as per other imports will suffice?

The license requires a particular form of attribution and some other
conditions, which they claim are compatible with CC-By. But before we
get all enthusiastic about importing or tracing things, I think we
need to consider the implications of their licence.

My reading is that it would require us to include their attribution
statement on any product that uses the data, which would include
downloads and OSM's slippy may. It may or may not be enough to
link to a "sources" wiki page from the OSM copyright line. More
importantly, we also have to ensure that any downstream users
are aware of the OS data included, and also ensure that our terms
require them to include the OS attribution statement.

I don't think the current OSM arrangements would satisfy these
requirements, and I'm not sure the viral copyright attributions are
something we would really want to accept. I could imagine a point
where to print a small OSM derived map in a paper publication would
mean including half a dozen copyright lines that would take up more
space than the map itself.

Moreover, since IIRC ODbL allows rendered maps to be made PD (or any
other license) and also allows small data extracts to be used without
restriction, I'm not sure that we'd able to use the OS data under
their current license if/when we move to ODbL.

Until we get clarification on these issues, I'd suggest not importing
any of the OS data, or using any of it for tracing.

Robert.

--
Robert Whittaker