On 15 April 2010 17:48, Ed Loach <e...@loach.me.uk> wrote:

> Tim asked:
>
> > if there were buildings in the OSM map,
> > and they
> > were split into their individual shop, what's the best way to
> > tag it as a
> > shop/café/restaurant etc?
> >
> <snip>
> >
> > Anyone got any input?
>
> Not on the same scale as Oxford Street, but how about the row of
> shops here?
>
> http://osm.org/go/0EHnC7KvL--
>
> Mapnik doesn't seem to recognise the dentist at 91 or the laundrette
> at 99, but adds the icons for the other properties in preference to
> their addr:housenumber
>
> Before I traced the building outline, each was a POI. After adding
> the building I just copied the tags from the poi to the relevant
> shop unit and deleted the poi.

I've been taking the same approach and have noticed the same inconsistency
in most renders. Some buildings *will* show up the POI icon, others won't.
Some POI nodes with address info seem to prioritise the address, some the
amenity/etc. type.

Surely it makes sense to keep all information about on physical feature in
one node/way/area rather than having several proximate entities referring to
the same thing?

The old rule of "don't map for the renderer" must apply to inconsistent
rendering of POIs.

Tom