Couldn't agree more. Serial deletionism is a concept that I just don't
understand, I'm sure it's well intentioned, but I can't see where it's
coming from.

On to technical details:

There is however a dificulty in distinguishing between when somone
moves somthing because it was previusly mapped at low resolution, and
when it's moved because it actually moved. I often find this problem
when editing.

To get going at least, all we need is support in renders for a closed
tag, then the higher lever issue of educating people to use it (or at
least not abuse it)

then there are probelms like:

railway=abandoned
closed=1931