An interesting set of points. I've been puzzling over three particular cases
related to this. In each case I'm aware that the tagging is incomplete:

1. The Park Estate in Nottingham. This is emphatically a private estate, with,
these days, electronically controlled bollards gates etc for motor access. The
private maintenance extends to retaining gas lighting and it doesn't even
appear in the OS meridian road dataset. However, there has never been any
objection to people walking through the area. On the other hand it is not at
all clear that there are any public rights of way, other than one which the
council is currently in the process of designating. Although I am not sure that
permissive is strictly accurate for walkers and cyclists, this is probably the
best match, unless we have access=tolerated.

2. Hospital, University campus area etc. Not at all sure about the status of
roads and footpaths in these: other than I assume that they are owned and
maintained by the hospital or university. Again motor access may be controlled
or there may be gates giving this possibility, but foot and cycle traffic are
generally universally tolerated.

3. Unadopted roads. I currently ignore these, but would like some means of
recording them. Whereas if the road has a private sign I will usually set
access=private.

In the first two cases around Nottingham,  roads have been tagged
highway=tertiary. This is, to my mind wrong, particularly as such roads are
often heavily traffic calmed.

I also probably tend to use access=private in a fairly English way, meaning
that if you're told to leave you have to go, rather than access is impossible.

In conclusion I'd like to iron out some of the nuances of the access tags.

Cheers,

Jerry Clough
SK53