I've always used footways for urban, usually metalled, pedestrian routes and path for offroad routes outside of urban areas.

If it has been constructed and pavement-like access restrictions are likely to be in force (ie, no bikes) I'd call it a footway. If it is a PROV over a field or a narrow track which you could squeeze a bike down but is more suited to walkers, I'd call it a path. I prefer the rendering of path to footway outside of urban areas in the mapnik layer, but where the map shows lots of built-up features the little red trails are easier to spot and follow. YMMV ;-)

In the absence of a sensible definition of what the tags meant at the point at which they were introduced, this was inevitable. There are lots of pretty futile arguments on the wiki: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Consolidation_footway_cycleway_path has some 'summaries'. You may as well please yourself; so long as the ways are tagged comprehensively (surface, access, foot= bicycle= etc etc) the highway tags can be automatically converted in the future in the event of consensus or a coup.