On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 10:18:45PM +0100, Dave F. wrote:
> In principle I understand what your saying & agree to some extent;
> except that I think it's incorrect to assume that on ground
> surveying is necessarily more accurate. GPS tracks are prone to
> being sent off course by the surroundings such as heavy tree
> coverage & steep topography. In these cases the maps are probably
> more accurate.

OSM primarily maps what is on the ground, not what other geodata says is
there.

Other data has been shown to be quite inaccurate compared to OSM,
including mastermap data.  Using our own collective knowledge just
produces better results anyway.

I’m well up for using OS OpenData to enhance our data, but the cases
I’ve seen involve arbitrary moving of ways to directly match OS data,
and loss of metadata.

Simon
simple system that works.—John Gall