----- Original Message ----- From: "Andrew" <wynnd...@lavabit.com>
To: <talk-gb@openstreetmap.org>
Sent: Sunday, August 22, 2010 9:29 PM
Subject: Re: [Talk-GB]Why I'm not currently using OS Opendat as a source WAS The last 2%

David Groom <revi...@...> writes:

Oh , if only it were that simple.

Partly as I said in my earlier email, the CT's talk about data you have
added, not data which still exists.

But more importantly your contributions would still remain in all the planet dumps, so I presume you'd be relying on the "database people" to remove the
data from them as well.  Probably a time consuming task, but potentially
do-able.  But then there are all the copies of the planet dumps held on
other peoples computers. Should the "database people" ask for all of them
to be returned so they can be cleaned?

You see data you add to OSM cant easily be removed.

David
> --
> Andrew

I still see no problem.

There is essentially no difference post-relicensing between data derived from an unrelicensable source and mapping that is not relicensed because people cannot be contacted. Planet dumps from the CC-by-SA era are a non-issue because they remain wholly under the Creative Commons licence; post-relicensing history dumps
omit both sets ofdata.

But it is not a question of the wording of the licence, its a question of the wording of the Contributor Terms. I've not mentioned the licence at all in the context of this discussion.

The preamble to the CT's state they refer to existing and future contributions. Therefore they cover contributions exiting in the planet dumps, therefore you have to be able to say the data in those dumps complies with the CT's. Nothing to do with what licence the planet dumps are issued under.

David

--
Andrew